Thursday, October 18, 2007

When you wish upon a Buddist prayer board...

(And just when we thought it was safe to leave the hotel room!) :p

Another super busy day today. I'm still struggling a little with the whole jet lag thing (and by "a little" I mean "a whole super duper bunch.") I tucked myself into bed last night at roughly 10:00 (20:00 for all of you on military time), and figured that since I was SO exhausted, I'd fall straight to sleep (O.K., true enough) and stay that way for at least 6 or 8 hours (not even close to accurate.) I took it as a good sign that I was able to go back to sleep pretty quickly each time I awoke, however, once the clock struck 2:30 a.m., there was officially no more sleepy time for me. I laid in bed for about an hour, then finally gave in and tried to get up and be productive. The end result? Now I'm REALLY exhausted! :p Oh well. Guess that'll work in my favor tomorrow morning when I head off to the fish market.

My day today consisted of a bunch of informational seminars. First, we heard Tsutomu Kimura, President of the National Institution for Academic Degrees, speak about the Japanese educational system. Next was Takahiro Miyao (a.k.a. "Take a hero, meow"), Professor at the International University of Japan, who spoke about Japan's economy. After lunch, two members of the House of Representatives, Yuji Tsushima and Kuniko Inoguchi, spoke about the Japanese Government. All in all, I'd say it was a fairly interesting day. But the best part? I was finally able to sit down and think through my plans for our day off! :) I'm excited to say that I'll be staying in Tokyo, and visiting several museums here (my favorite of which...at least at the moment, and in theory...is the Ghibli Animation Museum.) Nadine, Amy and I will also be attending a Calligraphy class....and maybe (just maybe) doing a bit of shopping in Ginza. :) I have to say, I'm really looking forward to just being mindless for a while. This whole thinking thing is exhausting. :p

Keeping my fingers crossed that you all are well, (and of course, getting a bit more sleep than I am...)

2 comments:

George said...

it's Saturday night here in "Big D" and Sunday noon in the land of the rising sun. just checking for the latest post. You must be busy.
Nothing for two days. Come on. We wait for every word.:) Hope you can post more candid photos of your trip. Couldn't bring up the blog at school.Will start showing what I can to the TAG bunch Monday.

George

DSanford said...

Hee hee...wasn't sure if I had an audience or not. Now that I know, I'll work harder at getting things up. :p (Truly, have been busy. But internet access here in Hiroshima is free, so I won't be able to use that as an excuse!) :)

Oh yeah...did I mention that I'm having to use Google blog in Japanese? (a little bit of a challenge!) :)